Thursday, May 28, 2009

Millies in Sugarhouse




I am aware that I have done several posts on small burger joints (parkers, paces', and purple turtle). Today I need to add another to the list! I have probably passed by this quaint little place dozens of times, if you blink you will miss it. Millies is located on 21st south and 1000 East. It is a family owned and run business and has been around for quite some time. I asked the manager (i am pretty sure that is who she was) what her favorite was and she said " EVERYTHING! I have worked here for 25 years and I still eat here 5 days a week." To me, that says a lot about a restaurant.




I went into this place waiting to compare it to the others. I have to say this place really set the standard high. For freshness it stands out hands down. You may be saying "but Jess, a burger is a burger!" and I will say back " oh but you are soooo wrong!" But nicely of course. There is a lot to chose from on the menu from a regular hamburger for .99 or a halibut sandwich for 7 bucks! I ordered a Double Millies Cheeseburger, a small order of onion rings, and a banana walnut shake. Wow, I was in for a surprise when I took my first bite!



The burger patties were a great size, not flat or pressed (like a place I ate in cedar city this past weekend). It had a great sauce on it that wasn't too overwhelming, lettuce, tomato, cheese and pickles. It tasted so fresh and right off the grill in your back yard. I don't eat a lot of fried food, but today I made an exception. These onion rings didn't crumble when you bit them, the onions were so juicy and not dry like some places you get. There wasn't tons of breading on the outside. Pretty close to the perfect onion ring. And finally, but certainly not least is the shake. Ok, so I LOVE shakes. I have tried all different kinds up and down the valley when I am in the mood. Today I was so pleased with the one from Millies. Normally when you get a shake you aren't concerned with the ice cream because well... you can't taste it! I could taste the banana, the walnuts, and still taste that it was made from vanilla soft serve.





I know I have given this place a little bit of a more descriptive review than most. I just wanted you all to see if your mouths would water this time. If you are in the Sugarhouse area I do suggest stopping by and even just getting one of their Glaciers which is a flavored slush that has ice cream in it (and this reminds me of a place in New Jersey called Rita's YUM!!)

3 comments:

  1. It's fun reading on your blog. You must really know alot about food. You should open your own place- call it Jessi's. Maybe even set it to a theme- That would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Millie's. They are a favorite of mine. You should also try B&D burgers by the U. I ate there all the time back in my collage days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lived about 5 minutes from Millie's for almost 2 years, and only once ever ventured in for a milkshake. Of course, I wasn't as obsessed with finding these types of places back then. FYI, I just posted a collection of our favorite local pizzerias on our blog.

    ReplyDelete