Saturday, October 10, 2009

More Moochies Please!!

This blog has been a long time coming. I was quite hesitant to try Moochies as Downtown Philly has been a favorite for the past year, and I still love them- but now I love them both!! Being a Utah staple and featured on Diners, Drive-In's and Dives on the food network, I figured I better get on the ball and try me some Philly Cheesesteak from Moochies! I had the opportunity to meet the owner at the Utah State Fair a couple weeks ago and what a lovely lady to run such a cute little place.




Moochies is a very quaint small location on 232 E and 800 S in downtown Salt Lake City, it's yellow-you cannot miss it (unless you blink). The walls are covered in awards and pictures of celebrities that have visited. Rumour has it, if you aren't there at the right time you can wait in a line for quite a while because they ARE so popular. First you are greeted with a sign that tells you how to order your sandwich. I am sure the people behind the counter are grateful for this. Their two feature items are Phillys and Meatball sandwiches. Can you order something else?? You bet! They have salad's and other sandwiches as well. I definitely be back to try the Feta and Tomato sandwich. Yum!!





Let's get down to business. Moochies Philly is so savory. It is a rib eye steak cut Philly style, you get onions, American cheese, and if you pay extra you can add things like mushrooms and peppers and extra cheese. I just went basic but of course had to have mushrooms! The bread is soft and fresh and I am not sure what kind of juice or oil they use to cook the meat but the smell follows you for hours. (and not in a "I just ate blue cheese" kind of follow) I love the onions on this sandwich because they have a juicy sauteed flavor and don't overwhelm you. The only issue I have with the authentication of the Moochies Philly is the lack of cheese whiz. But, that is a minor detail. Price wise, for a Philly that is 6" you pay about 5.99 for a basic one and 9 bucks for a 12". The 6" is very filling. You are paying for quality here though.



You can also find other tasty items in Moochies such as: Baklava!! (yay!!), two of my most favorite Sarsparilla brands (for those of you that don't know what that is, its like a rootbeer with a kick), a couple of variety's of tasty cakes, and a homemade jumpin jalapeno sauce. There is no label on this sauce for ingredients, but good news is, if you get it you can bring the bottle back and they will refill it for half the price!! If you like spicy this is a great sauce for everything! Chips, eggs, sandwiches, whatever you like a kick to! They also offer lasagna, pasta salad, and other tasty bits and pieces.







No comments:

Post a Comment