Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ruth's Diner



Once upon a time a handsome young lady (or so it is written) created Utah's second oldest restaurant. She didn't live to see that anniversary, but if you take the beautiful drive up Emmigration Canyon, on the right, you will find this little gem.


It has recently been remodeled but still holds its niche. It is an old trolley car that Ruth had transported up the canyon after her first restaurant was sold and demolished. This is a super small place, especially in the winter. Fitting maybe 70 guests. In the summer a patio and sidewalk seating is available.



Being my first time, I have had the opportunity to try the brunch but as soon as the leaves are on the trees I will be back. I was excited to see there was steamed artichoke on the menu. The garlic lemon aioli that it came with was fabulous and refreshing. I had a hard time deciding between the Caprese sandwich and the baked Mac and Cheese... but really, who can resist baked mac and cheese?



My mother had the Reuben which was served with fresh french fries and a large pickle. My Mac and cheese tasted fresh and cheesy. It was served with steamed veggies (sorry I didn't eat those). The portions are definitely a great size and even leave a little to take home. Oh!!! I almost forgot. The bread. Oh, the bread that is served before you really get going. Fresh, I don't think I have ever tasted such fresh bread at a restaurant before.

If you are looking for a historical place, a quaint place, a friendly place, and of course a place that has fresh food, Ruth's is really just up the road!

Btw. . . on a funny note, I can't help but mention the people that sat behind us that mistook the flamingos on the wall for penguins.






No comments:

Post a Comment