Monday, August 9, 2010

Tepanyaki!!

There are very few places that I can list on my "most favorite places to have dinner" list. This isn't because I am picky, it's just because I really love to just eat everywhere. However, there is Tepanyaki! There is a bit of a history behind my love for this food. In New Jersey, down the street from my home was a Japanese restaurant called Izumi. My friend and I ate there at least once a month because we loved it so much. The waiters and hostess knew who we were each time. Some of the nicest people ever! The flavors at this particular teppanyaki restaurant were mouth watering, it was something we looked foward to every time. I also have yet to find a spicy mustard like Izumi had.







Fast forward ... or rewind, to three years ago when I moved back to Utah. I had to find a place that was at least a little similar. Tepanyaki in Bountiful existed before it burned down. Then one opened in Cleafield, Provo, West Jordan, Lehi, and Salt Lake City. If you have never been let me give you a run down. You sit at a table that is actually a very large griddle with about 10 seats around it. Your waiter takes your order which is usually something like noodles or rice and shrimp, chicken, or some cut of steak. I prefer a mix of shrimp and strip steak and noodles! You start with some clear soup (yum!) and a salad with ginger type dressing. Your chef comes out with his little cart and cooks in front of you. There is something absoultely appealing about having your food cooked in front of you to order and knowing you can eat it hot on your plate. For those of you in an area with Benihana's it's the same thing but with better taste and friendlier cooks!! (and non corporate)







Even though I have been many times the onion volcano never get's old, nor does the little jokes the chefs tell as they prepare your food. At the Tepanyaki I usually like to order a little bit of sushi as well. It is a little pricey, and I usually go for a special occasion unless I have a craving. I have tried other places in Utah but still Tepanyaki is at the top of the list.











No comments:

Post a Comment