Wednesday, December 17, 2008

such thing as a good cheesesteak outside of philly??


The Answer my friends to that question is ABSOLUTELY!!


I have yet to find a more "authentic" tasting philly Cheesesteak place that is better than Downtown Philly! This store is located off 106th south and Redwood road (yes i am sure you are catching a theme, but I had to start somewhere!) It just HAPPENS to be next to the aforementioned awesome cookiness!



Downtown Philly has done it right in my opinion. Their menu board is simple and is hand written in chalk! They have a dozen variety of options, including a kids menu! I try not to frequent this place too much because my favorite sandwhich is the Garlic Steak. Oh yea, it sounds nice and innocent, but deep down inside it is hiding cream cheese AND provolone. Yum. It's almost like having garlic bread with a philly on it. I haven't tried the traditional philly yet. For those of you who don't know what that is. It is basically steak, onions, peppers, and Cheez wiz. Yes-you read that right. And they really do serve that in Philadelphia! Downtown Philly also offers three different sizes. I have yet to venture to a full size, but trust me you will be full even after a 6"...
However it will leave you wanting more because they are so darn tasty!

The owners are incredibly friendly and definitely know their stuff!

Another good thing about this place my fellow foodies, is that if you lived on the east coast at any particular time (north east) you have been exposed to Tasty Kakes and Birch beer! As far as I know they are the only place in Utah that carries either of these items. Oooooh and if you like sasparilla they have the best!!

































3 comments:

  1. Yes, this place is AWESOME! Just stopped there one night randomly to pick up sandwiches for dinner and couldn't believe how good it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been to The Downtown Philly a couple of times. Maybe I haven't ordered the right thing, but I wasn't all that impressed. Although it was possibly one of their cheese steaks that sent my wife into labor a week and a half early.

    There are a few other local places I prefer for a good cheese steak. One is the Philadelphian, located at 9860 S 700 E, and the other is Wasatch Wingz, located at 2020 E 3300 S. The latter is in a strip mall off the main road so it is impossible to find if don't know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing personal to the above person who commented that the Philadelphian has better cheesesteaks, but I hate to break the news that they dont even serve cheesesteaks. Yes, they serve a good and cheap roast beef sandwich, but it is precooked deli roast beef! Real cheesesteaks have one key ingredient....steak. Sliced from a top round or rib eye cut and cooked on the grill with the onions. Not roast beef. I graduated from Temple University and got the real thing in Philly all the time, there are two, count them two places in salt lake to get a cheesesteak that is close to the real deal, they are The Downtown Philly and Moochies. Both good. The Philadelphian is good when the wallet is light and Arbys sounds good.

    ReplyDelete