Friday, March 12, 2010

Always an exception to the Rule

Hello Readers, as you know I do all I can to keep this blog as Utah's own restaurants. Created and made in Utah. I pride myself on no franchise's and no corporation's. (ie. the Chili's and Applebee's of the world)
I am in need to make one exception to my rule. In American Fork you will find some of the best BBQ. (and I ate a LOT of BBQ last year) This little joint, Rib City Grill, has something unique about it that the rest of the RCG franchise's don't have: That's two of the greatest owners ever: Vincent D'onofrio (yes people, we're talking Men in Black and Law and Order Criminal Intent actor) and his lovely and brilliant sister Toni Jorgensen.


(Toni, Vincent, and myself)

My first experience with this place was about a year and a half ago. Toni had been on a local television show, Good Things Utah, doing a pulled pork sandwich. I knew I wanted to meet this lady and eat that sandwich! She was in her store that afternoon and she made me this sandwich that wasn't even on the menu yet. Fast forward to this week... I had an opportunity to wait on her at the restaurant I work at, and she invited me back to her restaurant, I just couldn't believe she remembered me. Now, most people were in the restaurant tonight to meet her brother for a wonderful charity event (See Ride for a Hero- in support of Hero's Health Project and Utah Meth Cops Project), although he was VERY nice... My celebrity is her. She definitely knows how to run a business, take care of all her marketing and public relations, and still has time to visit with guests. Wow!

Ok. Ok. On to the tasty food!!

When you go there- Get the pork!! Not only does it taste fantastic and you get your choice of sauce to put on, but it literally melts in your mouth. The meat is so tender and juicy you just want to put your fork or sandwich down after every bite to savor it. I love sides when it's not just broccoli and french fries. Their coleslaw is so creamy! The beans are flavorful. You even can have corn on the cob on a stick. And ANYTHING tastes good on a stick right? The onion rings are ginormous, the spicy ranch should be added to everything, and don't forget the sweet potato fries.





If you can make it through the entire meal, please save room for pie! The pecan pie, I don't know where it comes from, but its so gooey and caramely (is that even a word?)

Even though this IS a franchise, you can tell that it is filled with love and hard work. If you are craving BBQ it's worth the drive from anywhere. It is in the same plaza as the Big Lots and Golds Gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment