Saturday, April 17, 2010

You call that a sandwich??

As a matter of fact I do!!

I am very particular about my deli's because of one back in New Jersey (the Millburn Deli) that will have my heart forever.


Last summer I went to a bring your own entree BBQ and a friend brought a sandwich. But this wasn't an ordinary sandwich it was GINORMOUS!!! Of course I had to ask where in the world it came from. Grove Deli he said. I had never heard of such a place. I knew I needed to visit though. If you drive down Main street and blink you will miss this little gem. It is on about 1900 S and Main Street on the west side of the road.

When you pull up its a great little spot, not a lot of parking but what better than a deli with benches outside to enjoy your food and some sun? As I took a step inside, it wasn't really what the deli's I knew looked like. It was more of a convienence store, but with the best part at the back. The menu is basic. The specials are hand written. I went with the pulled pork bbq sandwich, and my friend got just a regular sandwich... or so I thought. When they handed it over, I am pretty sure it was the length of my elbow to my shoulder!! Mine wasn't quite as big, but it definitely wasn't something I could eat on the way back to work. (there is a reason for those benches) I can tell you that next to the amazing pulled pork at Rib City Grill, this pork was a very close second. It was juicy and tender, the bread was fresh, and the bbq sauce was just right and not overwhelming. I hope this isn't just a special they have sometimes.



I liked that they have almost any soda or juice you could want in their fridges. Any candy (American or foriegn) or chip to go with your sandwich. Although it is such a small space and it would probably take a couple times going back to get acquainted, there is always something unique about the first time. The cashier was super friendly, the sandwich maker very accomodating. I am looking forward to enjoying my next sandwich.

1 comment:

  1. Love that place. It totally feels like it is out of another era.

    ReplyDelete